07 January 2009

On the 7th day she sewed


A Week - Plus One

I've been working on a scrappy quilt since the day after Christmas.
It's called
Star Bright by Janis Nelson from an old Quiltmaker magazine (Jan/Feb 02 - #83).

I'm at the 3rd border - which called for Seminole type piecing. I may have created a bigger headache than any border needs to be, as instead of adding straight grain triangles to the edge, I've left off the extra triangles on either side (for a narrower border) and just trimmed away excess.

It's going to be stretchy on a bias and probably make for a very wavy border. I may need to rethink.

Meanwhile, there was a Calendar week block to consider. These are the darker fabrics I've used in the quilt, along with a strip of the Seminole border.
The 8th day was added as I wanted 8 1/2" blocks and a couple of my strips were too narrow.

I'm thinking of using a pattern by Evelyn Sloppy from her book Strips & Strings, which hacks off 2 corners and adds half triangles to make a pinwheel effect when 4 are joined. I made the quilt on page 29 called Country Manner Charm once before - but I gave it away to a cousin who asked me to make her a quilt. Any quilt. Now I can have one of my own.
Even if it takes a year!

6 comments:

rachel griffith said...

your star quilt is amazing!!!

i love the color palate in your calendar quilt.

can't wait to see more!!!

Betsy said...

lovely lovely quilt. Thank you for sharing with us.

Kritta22 said...

I love it!! Your star quilt is just wonderful!

Busy Little Quilter said...

I love that quilt! I'll have to go back into my Quiltmakers to see if I have that one. I love the colors you chose.

Dawn said...

I love the Seminole strip added in. Wonderful touch!

Carrie P. said...

Your star quilt is so beautiful and your calendar quilt will be too. Love your fabrics.